Monday, November 23, 2009

It's not about the song. And the song isn't about Waskada.

In my last blog post, I spoke about being fearful that the song wouldn't capture the heart and spirit of Waskada. Well, I've heard the song and it looks like those fears have come true. I downloaded the song and the album from iTunes this morning.

Waskada's song mentions Waskada exactly one time, and mentions Winnipeg at least 3 times if not more (the chorus is about Winnipeg). Unfortunately, it's not a 'song for Waskada'. Do I feel let down? By Chantal, absolutely. She clearly wrote the song about Winnipeg, Waskada was an afterthought. So disappointing. If you want to let her know, she has a Facebook page, or you could try to find a way to write to her.

But as I also said yesterday, it is not about the song and it never really has been, for me. I do not feel let down by the people at the CBC, who put on an incredible contest and who gave us the opportunity to get Waskada's name out there across the nation. To CBC Radio 2, and CBC Manitoba, who have given me the chance to interview about Waskada, to do a Podcast about Waskada, you have not let me down.

To the people that supported Waskada, to everyone who voted and who helped Waskada to win the contest, you made this happen! You absolutely did not let me down - quite the opposite! You were the reason why we won this contest... why the 'little town that could' actually did! It is an incredible achievement.

We still won this contest with heart, with determination, and with spirit. And I will hold my head high today and say "we won"... we saw the little town that could make it all the way to the top. It is not about the song, not for me. 

Hey... now here's an idea to keep our positive momentum going! Maybe there's some kids at Waskada school that are looking at this blog or other community members. If you have anything you'd like to share about Waskada, email me at brynasclater@hotmail.com and I will post some of the responses on the blog. Perhaps you would like to share some memories of Waskada and things you love about the town. Perhaps you have your own "Waskada" song lyrics you'd like to submit? I have been talking on this blog for a long time - maybe it's time for some other voices? I would love to hear from you.

Thanks again everyone... it's too bad the song is a big of a letdown, but hey... I'm going to keep focusing on the positive and what an awesome thing it has been for Waskada to win this contest!

Bryna




6 comments:

Kim Klassen said...

dear bryna,
what an amazing post this morning. you said it so beautifully! i'm so sorry that chantal let you down... but honeslty i feel a sadness for her. it's so pathetic really. what a shame she can't see past herself.

as for waskada and all who supported your quest... for you, and your family!! ROCK on!! :)

xxo, kim

kerry said...

i'm so sorry to hear that the song is a disappointment! my internet is too weak to play anything online so i can't even listen to the clip or the official unveiling later today.

i have enjoyed reading your quest, nonetheless!

ps, i was voting for joel kroeker (if only because i can mennonite-connect myself to him).

Prairie Girl Studio said...

total disgrace ... shame on chantal ... for someone who portrays this soulful being ... she sure missed the heart of waskada ... and the total pulse of the contest ...

if only she had felt the need and desire to contact anyone from waskada ... or read this blog ... to truly understand the beauty of this 'riverless' prairie village ... where there are no 'fumes' ... i think her song would have then truly been the best she has ever written ... i feel sorry for her that she missed this opportunity ...

way to go bee ... way to go waskada ... 'the little town that could' did and will forever be a shining star to everyone who truly knows the big heart of this warm, spirited community ...

thanks cbc, you did a lot to connect the community of our country ...

prairiregirl xo

Unknown said...

Dear b,

I think you said it all so well. The contest was a great idea and has provided us with some great new Canadian music about some unique Canadian places but it was a lot more about the journey than the destination. I think this was a monumental undertaking for some cbc staffers and for the most part they pulled it off. The artists for the most part put in a good effort despite their busy lives and schedules but when I heard your song I was disappointed for you and disappointed in the effort from miss K to capture the spirit of the contest. Reading other comments it kind of makes me happy we didn't win our province. All that aside you guys did a great job and should be proud of that - I plan to visit your little prairie town some day and I hope you can play me your own song.
Congrats on everything you have accomplished and said. missgrandbend fab

bee said...

thank you so much, everyone, for your comments. what a roller-coaster this has been! am just trying hard to focus on the journey, not the destination (thanks frank for putting it so well)! just appreciate all the support we've gotten all along the way.

and frank, you can bet that if i'm heading ontario way, i'll be paying grand bend a visit, so i can miss it too!

with warmest thanks,
b

bee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.