Friday, November 20, 2009

3 More Sleeps!

Only a few more days now until the big reveal for the CBC Great Canadian Song Quest! From what I gather having listened to Bob, Tom, Rich and the gang at CBC Radio 2 all week, the new songs will be revealed on Monday, November 23rd on the "Radio 2 Drive" program, hosted by Rich Terfry.

Radio 2 Drive airs from 3:30pm to 7:00pm in all time zones. You can listen live by going to http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/ and looking under the "Listen Live" area on the right-hand side of the website. You'll see the program name - simply click on Radio 2 Drive at 3:30 to listen. You can play around with the time zones... for example, if you live in Waskada, you can listen to the Atlantic version of the program starting at 1:30, the Eastern version starting at 2:30, the Central version starting at 3:30... well... you get the picture. I have no idea at what point during the program the Waskada song will air!

A couple of other small things... before the Waskada song airs, you'll hear my voice doing a little 30 second intro about Waskada. I tried hard to capture all the wonderful things about our community in 30 seconds, but it was sure tough! :)

Also, I'll be on CBC Manitoba in the morning on Monday. The interview will air around 7:15am Manitoba time for anyone who might be tuning in.

We are in the final stretch everyone! I am going to be honest, the anticipation of hearing the song carries mixed feelings for me. I'm excited... and hopeful that the spirit and heart of our beautiful community will be captured... but on the other hand, I'm also fearful that it won't. I suppose this is a normal reaction - when you've put this much effort into something, when you love your hometown as much as I love Waskada, you just want the song to perfectly capture the spirit and heart of this little prairie town! But I am hopeful, especially when I hear things like Connie Kaldor's inspiring song about Love, Saskatchewan (see full post below) and the many songs that people from all over Canada have submitted to CBC as part of this contest. I urge you to check them out, there are some beautiful gems there!

I will be honest. This is really not about the song for me... the song is the result, but what I take away from this experience is much richer than that. It's about the people of Waskada, and the friends and families of those who know people from Waskada who came together and voted. It's about the power of people to come together and make something really incredible happen! It's about the underdog winning. It's about the 'little town that could' (Tom Allen, thank you so much for that one). It's about having the opportunity to write this blog and rediscover though the words and the pictures I've posted here just how much I love my hometown and just how special it really is to me. It's about my beloved CBC putting on this great contest and about how awesome they have been to give Waskada the opportunity to get this kind of national exposure on the radio. It's about learning about all these great spots across the country that were part of this Song Quest adventure as well!

What an amazing journey... I never in a million years thought that we would even make the final five, let alone win... it just shows you what you can do with a bit of determination and a lot of heart!

I owe thanks to so many. This has experience has filled me with gratidude to know so many wonderful people who put their hearts into making Waskada first in Manitoba! THANK YOU!

Bryna
xo

No comments: