Tuesday, October 20, 2009

: : : : :

WHO will write A SONG FOR WASKADA?

Let's have a post focused on the 5 manitoba artists today... personally, I think they are all pretty fantastic and all would do Waskada proud if we manage to win this thing! In no particular order... we have...

The Duhks

I've seen them live a few times at various folk fests... very talented group of musicians, totally unique style that fuses together many different kinds of music... and most importantly tons of fun!


listen to The Duhks HERE!
image from here


Joel Kroeker

Before this contest, I didn't know Joel's music, but this has given me a great chance to discover his sound. Sweet voice, solid pop (with a little bit of rock n' roll), thoughtful lyrics...






Chantal Kreviazuk

I've known Chantal's music for quite a long time - I think "Under these Rocks and Stones" came out the year I graduated from Waskada School and left my sweet hometown. She is a true Manitoba girl, an amazing pianist, and I have always enjoyed her music... here's a little sample.



listen to Chantal Kreviazuk HERE!
image from here


Nathan

I have known about Nathan for quite awhile - saw them a few times live when I was in Winnipeg. They are an amazing group of musicians. A definite prairie feel with these guys... a very western sound... and again, some very thoughtful lyrics and songs... here's one of my favourite songs (love this video too)...





Chic Gamine

Another group that I hadn't heard about before this contest but who I am very happy to have discovered. Having been a part of a few choirs and groups, their awesome, tight harmonies really appeal to this chick! Here is a wee sample:





Really loving this contest, loving the artists... 4 more days left to vote for your favourite out of these guys... and of course WASKADA! :)


1 comment:

Prairie Girl Studio said...

awesome post!
it's a tough one as all these artists are really so great and could all write a 'right on' song for WASKADA ...
thanks for giving us another insight into their artistry ...
pg xo