Thursday, October 15, 2009

"If I had a couple more minutes with Tom Allen this morning..."

This morning, I had the incredible opportunity to speak with Tom Allen on the CBC Radio 2 Morning Show. It was a dream come true for me - I listen quite often to CBC Radio 2, Tom is a wonderful guy with impeccable musical taste. To be on the CBC Radio, to have my little 15 seconds of fame, was a dream come true for this small town prairie girl! 

Thank you to Tom, to CBC for this awesome contest, but most of all to everyone who is continuing to support Waskada... this is all thanks to you!

Now... back to the subject of today's blog. Though I think the interview went well today, I can't help but think about all the things that I wish I could have said... so here's a little list of some of those things.

1. The Park... Borderfest

The song that Tom played immediately following our chat was "Woodstock" by Joni Mitchell. He said something along the lines of, "now here's a Joni Mitchell song about a small town in the United States... not sure if Waskada has this in it's future..." 

Well, Tom... we may not have Woodstock, but we do have Borderfest! A great event that happens once every couple of years... a ball tournament during the day, and a party in the evening featuring bands from the area (I can recall rockin' out to Armadillo and Cory Brown's band... don't remember the name but I know he plays with a group called Marshal Reign now...)

Borderfest may not be as big as Woodstock... but there is no doubt that this small town knows how to party and rock!

And where does that party take place? At the Waskada Park of course, also the home of our ball diamond where the and our six-hole golf course! There were other parties that took place at the park too over the years, but perhaps those are stories for another time and another place! Wink, wink...



2. The Rink

The rink was right around the corner from my house and I have the most magical memories of the place... this is where the community comes together to watch every hockey game in town and where the curling bonspiels take place. The ladies, mens, and mixed bonspiels are a yearly occurrence, and in my opinion, one of the best times of the year in Waskada. Yes, I love curling... but even more, I love the way the community comes together during bonspiel week. EVERYONE is at the rink... playing and watching curling, volunteering at the canteen, kids running around and playing... but the best part is the food. Community members volunteer to bring some of the best food you've ever had to the rink during bonspiel time. You eat like a king during that week... I still dream about some of those amazing pieces of pie that I had as a kid. Great memories were made at this place... here are a couple photos to share with you all (thanks to mel lee for the great pic of the bonspiel!).





3. The Scenery

Fields that stretch as far as the eye can see. Some of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen in my life. A place where the sky is a giant canvas and mother nature can paint some of her loveliest work. A place where it is actually dark at night and where you can see every single star. That picture of the park above? I remember nights lying on those turf grass greens with my girlfriends, staring up at the stars, and just marveling at the beauty of it all. Talking about this and that with my friends... feeling kind of tiny in a great big world... but feeling incredibly grateful to be where I was in that moment. Here's a great pic of Waskada scenery - thanks again to Mel Lee for forwarding me this photo!




Ok... this is getting to be a long post! Enough musings for tonight. Thanks to everyone again for their support and for their continued voting! GO WASKADA!



3 comments:

Prairie Girl Studio said...

oh my goodness ... with your immense love for your little hometown ... and your immense love of music ... waskada just has to be the manitoba town destined to have a song of it's own by one of the five wonderful manitoba artists in the great canadian songquest ...
did i mention that i was PUMPED for WASKADA to win?
prairiegirl xo

Prairie Girl Studio said...

heard you on the airwaves, btw ... awesome!
thanks to you ... Tom on Radio2 ... and CBC!
pg

Unknown said...

what a great tribute to waskada! love reading your blog!