Sunday, October 18, 2009

Gearing up for the last week of voting... pumped for Waskada to win the Great Canadian Songquest on CBC!

A couple of updates:

1. The mayor of Waskada, Gary Williams was on CBC Radio yesterday talking about Waskada! Nice to see this great place getting some air time across the country... I love it!

2. I started a Facebook group this morning called "Voting for Waskada in the CBC Song Quest". If you are on Facebook and you are supporting Waskada, please join this group! You can post pictures of Waskada there, start discussion topics about your favourite memories of Waskada that should be included in a song... or a topic about which of the five Manitoba artists you are supporting to write a song about Waskada... you can even post a video of Waskada. I thought it might be a nice way that those of us who love Waskada and are rooting for it to win this contest can all get together...

3. Finally, I wanted to share a couple more pictures today with everyone about some other special places in Waskada.

Main Street Waskada

Tom Allen asked me in my interview about Main Street Waskada. When I come back home after I've been away for awhile, one of my favourite things to do is drive down Main Street. Yes, it's often quiet. But it is familiar. And lovely. And it has SO much character. Here is a pic of Main Street. Main Street also symbolizes the resilience of this community. The Royal Bank left... but we have the Credit Union now. The Co-Op left, but we have Waskada Community Foods. And of course, Griffith Agencies and the Waskada Genesis Inn. There are other buildings downtown too... the Post Office, the Fire Hall, and the Waskada Museum (which has a really amazing collection of great history of Waskada and area)... and so on (I know I'm forgetting a few - please forgive any place I've left out).

So here are a few pics of these wonderful Main Street spots.





The Waskada Sky

I have mentioned this before, but one of the most incredible things about living in Waskada is the wide open spaces. Which really means, we've got a whole 'lotta sky. When you grow up in a small town on the prairies, you get used to flat land and big sky. But you never fully get used to the beauty of what goes on in that great big sky. Amazing sunsets, spectacular cloud formations, every star in the sky (and sometimes a glimpse of the northern lights dancing across the sky). The weather can change quickly on the prairies... you can sit and watch those clouds roll in before a wild storm. You can be in the midst of a wild storm and have sunshine a couple hours later (and often catch a rainbow, or two). Those lazy, partially cloudy summer days are perfect for staring up into the sky and trying to make pictures out of clouds. The sky is awesome in Waskada... I wasn't kidding when I said the most beautiful, vivid pictures mother nature can paint on her canvas of sky are done in Waskada. Here's a couple of examples. First pic was taken by my dad of the view outside our front window. Second was a picture Mel Lee sent to me of some rainbows after the storm. Absolutely beautiful!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wonderful blog bee. Good luck. I will try to mention you in ours.
fab